Hello December! So, here we are: The final month has finally arrived and then, 2017 will be flying in. Are you ready? To be honest, I'm relieved and cannot wait until the new year. I'm ready for a fresh start and to leave 2016 behind! That doesn't mean that I don't want to enjoy every second of December, though, because I love all the festivities that this month entails. Today, we're bringing you our family's favorite holiday traditions and advent activities we enjoy doing each December and included some new ones we want to try that might inspire you, too!
Favorite Family Christmas TraditionsThese are our favorite family traditions that we each look forward to every holiday season.
L's Favorite Christmas Traditions:
- Spending time outside with her family and having hot cocoa.
- Making cookies with her family.
- Putting up the Christmas tree.
- Going to St. Augustine on Christmas Eve to look at Nights of Lights and stopping by at a local cafe to drink hot coffee or hot cocoa.
- Watching Christmas movies and Christmas shows.
- Walking around town or out of town to look at Christmas lights.
- Baking Christmas cookies
- Singing Christmas carols
- Watching Christmas movies
Ry's Favorite Christmas Traditions:
- Visiting St. Augustine for Nights of Lights
- Drinking hot cocoa together
- Toasting marshmallows over the fire pit
"On the twelfth day of Christmas..."
Below is our Advent calendar we made for this year. My kids enjoyed helping to put this post together and my son actually started his own advent list way before I was even thinking of mine. He's being taught well! 😉
Countdown to Christmas Advent Activities
- Decorate the house with Christmas decor and trim the tree
- Take family holiday photos
- Send Christmas cards
- Write letters to Santa
- Write a list for Random Acts of Kindness to do all month together
- Watch Christmas movies while drinking hot cocoa
- Walk or drive around to look at Christmas lights
- Read one Christmas book a night
- Visit a Nativity Scene
- Make ugly sweaters
- Wear Christmas pajamas while watching the Polar Express
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Make a gingerbread house
- Visit Santa
- Roast marshmallows and have hot cocoa and S'mores over a fire pit
- Make salt dough ornaments
- Make a family Christmas video
- Make a snow globe
- Make a Filipino Christmas lantern, called Parols (since our kids are half-Filipino, we'd like to incorporate more Filipino Christmas traditions)
- Read about other cultures' Christmas traditions
- Game night
- Play outdoors and if it's not too cold, have a Christmas picnic
- Christmas Eve scavenger hunt and whoever wins gets to open a Christmas Eve gift first. (The kids really enjoyed this Nature Scavenger Hunt we did over the summer.)
- Make reindeer food and cookies for Santa
- Merry Christmas!
Now, it's your turn! Tell me, what are your favorite Christmas traditions? Tweet me and let me know or share it in the comments below!