Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Black Bean and Mushroom Meatless Meatballs with Sweet and Spicy Sauce {CIC}

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

This month, I participated in the Crazy Ingredient Challenge {CIC} with other fellow bloggers. Our challenge: use black beans and mayonnaise in a recipe. I actually am a big fan of black beans, which is part of the reason I wanted to participate in this challenge. I feel that there are an array of recipes where you can use black beans. Another reason I wanted to participate is I haven't wrote a food post in awhile, so this motivated me to get on that! I wanted to make something simple and quick. I went with meatless meatballs using black beans.

Recipe, Food, Meatless Mondays

I had no idea at first what type of recipe I wanted to make with black beans aside from knowing that I wanted it to be easy, (using as little ingredients as possible), plus something that would only take less than 30 minutes to make. I was inspired by this Pinterest recipe for black beans and mushroom meatballs by the Fit Foodie Mama. It was right in the ballpark of what I had in mind.

There were plenty of other meatless meatball recipes using black beans, but I liked how this one included mushrooms in it. This particular recipe also caught my eye because it baked the meatballs to cook them.

The above recipe uses marinara sauce but I knew I wanted some spicy kick to mine and a way to incorporate the mayonnaise. Therefore, I went with a sweet and spicy sauce I like to whip up using mayonnaise, Sriracha, and ranch with sweet chili sauce. I also added in a few more spices to the recipe to go along with the sauce.

Like the author mentions, you do need to be careful not to keep it in the oven too long because it can dry out. I left it in just long enough to make sure the meatballs were baked through and not going to fall quickly apart. For me, that was 15 minutes.

Now, of course, since this isn't made of meat, it does tend to be softer and will break apart easier than a meatball made of meat. I wouldn't recommend using a fork or toothpick in it.

Food, Recipe, Meatless Mondays

Just scoop them up with a spoon or your fingers to dip into the sauce.

Recipe, Food, Meatless Monday

How to Make Black Bean and Mushroom Meatless Meatballs with Sweet and Spicy Mayonnaise Sauce


Ingredients
For the meatballs:
  • 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed (I used low sodium black beans)
  • 1 4 oz. can of mushrooms, cut into small pieces, drained and rinsed
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • A couple splashes of low-sodium soy sauce

Recipe, Food, Meatless Monday

For the sweet and spicy mayonnaise sauce
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup ranch with sweet chili sauce (you can also use original ranch and sweet chili sauce separately)
  • 1-2 tsp(s). Sriracha sauce, depending on how spicy you prefer it
Meatless Monday, Recipe, Food

Instructions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
  2. Grease a mini muffin pan (I used butter)
  3. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mash them well until they all stick together and can form into balls
  4. Form individual meatballs and place them into the muffin pan
  5. Cook for about 12-15 minutes (Be sure to watch them to avoid them drying out)
  6. Let them cool down and scoop them out carefully with a spoon
  7. Dip into the sauce and enjoy!
Food, Recipe, Meatless Monday

These black bean and mushroom meatless meatballs are a good option if you prefer not eating meat. They are also a good idea for easy appetizers or snacks. If you like black beans, try this other black bean dish I love that also makes a great party dish: Black Bean Mago Salad.

What's your favorite way to use black beans? Share and let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear it.

Pass this post along to a friend who would enjoy these meatless meatballs!


Don't forget to stop by the other great bloggers' links below to see what recipes they made with black beans and mayonnaise:



Related Posts

http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/07/black-bean-mango-salad.html

Cheesy Hashbrown Turnovers and Meatballs

Black Streak Kitchen Cayenne Pepper


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers