Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Celebrating International Women's Day 2016

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

Happy International Women's Day! I'm celebrating today with my little girl by having a Girl's Day. She loves it when we do this, enjoying activities that she says are for just her and me, like painting our nails, playing dress up, and playing with her dolls. She is not always a girly-girl, though; she loves playing outside, collecting Pokemon cards, and throwing around the football with her brother. I love that and I love that we have an acknowledged day for our nation to celebrate women. Although we have made momentous achievements for women and our rights, however; there's still a lot of progress to make. I discussed a little on that in my article over at Mogul today. 

women's rights, human rights, equality

Reflecting on International Women's Day

 Here is a snippet of what my Mogul post touches on:

Today, I’m happy to celebrate International Women’s Day for myself, my daughter, my mother, and for all of you, my sisters.  I’m also sad, however, because recently after speaking to another woman close to me, she revealed that she has never received a raise at her job. She has worked for her employer, a large company, for two years. She arrives on-time daily, and on most days, she arrives earlier than her other coworkers. She works hard, always staying busy and finding things to do, even helping other people with their work.

What is even more upsetting is that when I asked if she thinks her male colleagues should be paid more than her, she quickly answered, “Yes, of course.”

“On average, full-time working women earn just 78 cents for every dollar a man earns. This significant gap is more than a statistic -- it has real life consequences. When women, who make up nearly half the workforce, bring home less money each day, it means they have less for the everyday needs of their families, and over a lifetime of work, far less savings for retirement.” 

                                                                                                                                 – Whitehouse.gov

Head over to Mogul and read the full post. Check out the video for the trailer included in the post. It's for the new documentary film "Equal Means Equal." There's also links you may be interested in if you'd like to learn more about making progress toward women's rights.

I think most importantly, we need to make changes for everyone to be treated like equals in all areas - workforce, school, health, etc.

What are your thoughts this International Women's Day? Do you have any resources or links to that have helpful information on this topic? Share and let me know, I'd love to hear it!

Share this post with someone you know who would love to read it or learn more about this topic!


Related Posts


#VFSocialClub Recap Pre-Oscars 2016

" A daughter may outgrow your lap but she will never outgrow your heart."
Words of Wisdom from a Mother to Her Daughter

Baby, Maternity Leave, Pregnancy
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers