Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Big Talbot Island with UNF's Environmental Center


Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

I enjoy cleaning up the environment and protecting and caring for nature.  That's why I was thrilled to sign up when I heard that UNF's Environment Center was going on a hike to help clean up Big Talbot Island State Park.  Although I've never been to Big Talbot Island, I've always wanted to visit.  I've heard about its beautiful beach and I couldn't wait to bring my camera.  My husband and I spent that Saturday morning on the short hiking trail, then, eventually walking onto the beach.  Big Talbot Island, located in Jacksonville, is well-known for its driftwood that lays up and down the sand and some are afloat on the shore.    

Beach, Driftwood, Jacksonville
I can't believe I haven't been here sooner.  I love finding new parks or outdoor gems that I can bring the kids to for a new adventure.  I'm glad I finally had the chance to visit.

Eco, Jacksonville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida, Eco

The weather that Saturday was perfect: cool air, blue skies, and warm sunshine.  It was a beautiful day to volunteer to pick up trash while exploring the park.

 Beach, Jacksonville, Florida


There was not a lot of trash to clean up, at least not on the hiking trail.  The beach did have some trash, but there was a good amount of people also helping to clean, leaving us to find only a handful of litter to throw in our bag.

Beach, Driftwood, Jacksonville

Jacksonville, Florida, Eco

The shortage of trash actually had me excited to find my first piece of litter, so I took a photo of it: 

Jacksonville, Florida, Cleanup

And, apparently, I had to take photos of almost all the pieces of trash I found:

Cleanup, Beach, Jacksonville 
Along with trash my hubby found:
Beach, Cleanup, Jacksonville

That's my book bag he's wearing, by the way, (in case you were wondering).

Although we didn't find a lot of trash ourselves, as a group, we did find a good amount of random litter.  A woman's shoe and a nail gun were among the most interesting pieces.  It was fun thinking about how long those items may have been sitting there and even more fun to consider how they ended up in the park.

Jacksonville, Florida, Eco
 
Beach, Jacksonville, Florida

Beach, Driftwood, Florida

Beach, Jacksonville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida, Beach

Beach, Driftwood, Jacksonville

Beach, Jacksonville, Florida
 
Beach, Eco, Jacksonville
 
Jacksonville, Florida, Driftwood

Jacksonville, Florida, Eco

Beach, Jacksonville, Florida

Driftwood, Beach, Jacksonville

Jellyfish, Beach, Jacksonville

Driftwood, Beach, Jacksonville

Take a look at a few videos I recorded that morning:





I can't wait to bring my kids here to explore and take photos with this beautiful scenery.  I would recommend visiting this state park if you're ever in Jacksonville.  Don't forget your sunscreen and camera!  

What's a state park you enjoy visiting or is on your bucket list to visit?  Share and let me know, I'd love to hear them!

 
Don't forget to share this post!

Related Posts


Jacksonville Beach, Family Summer Activities

http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/01/beach-detour-to-daytona-beach.html


http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/02/break-from-busy-week-exploring.html


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers