Monday, April 20, 2015

DIY Upcycled Frozen Pinata

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

Party Decor and Games Using Recycled Material

It's party season!  In the next few months, popular celebrations like birthdays, weddings, prom and graduation is coming up so many people will be in party-planning mode which means cakes, sweet treats, decorations and games will be used to bring some fun to the party.  Last year for my daughter's birthday, I used several upcycled ideas to create a fun Frozen-themed birthday party for her.  It was Eco-friendly, budget-friendly, busy-parent-friendly and kid-friendly!  I wanted to share a quick and easy tutorial on how to make this DIY Frozen pinata I made as a party game using recycled material and I wanted to share it this week in honor of Earth Day on April 22nd.

Disney Party, Recycled Crafts, Earth Day

 

Easy Green-Friendly Party Pinata


Recycled Crafts, Party Games, Green

Planning a party can be time-consuming and challenging when you have ten thousand other things going on without adding a stressful party to pull off but I wanted to throw a party for my little girl to celebrate her third birthday last year.  At that time and to this day, she was absolutely obsessed with Disney's Frozen so her theme was all about the popular Disney movie.  I did not want to spend a fortune, however, to throw a Frozen bash so I tried to be resourceful while sticking to the Frozen theme.

Eco-friendly, Green Crafts, Recycled Crafts

I love creating crafts, decor and games using recycled material because I'm a big fan of reusing and being green-friendly.  Therefore, many of the decorations and party games I made for this party was from things we already had around the house.


How to Make an Upcycled Pinata


Materials Needed:
  • Cereal boxes, depending on how large you want the pinata, you may need a few to make the circles large enough.  I used the sides of the cereal boxes to go around the middle of the pinata.
  • Tissue paper, cut into strips.  I used light blue to match the Frozen theme colors.
  • Thick scrapbook paper in light blue with sparkles in it.  I had two that I never used so it was perfect for the theme. 
  • White sparkly decor snowflakes.  You can find these at the craft store and many stores during the holidays.  I had two that came in a pack from the dollar store.
  • Candy and other items to put inside
  • Glue
  • Twine, ribbon or rope to hang the pinata


Directions:

  1. Start off with cutting your scrapbook papers into a large circle.  Use them as a template to make the backing out of the cereal boxes to glue behind the paper if your paper is not heavy enough.  I had thick cardboard type of scrapbook paper so they did not require the cereal box backing.  
  2. Glue down the snowflake on the front side of the scrapbook paper.   I only used one for the front but you can place another snowflake on the back of the pinata, too.
  3. Cut the sides of the cereal boxes off.  Measure it out to see how many strips of the sides you need to go around the pinata.  Glue them together by the ends until they meet and glue them down onto the inside of one of the circles.  You can use additional tape to tape it down inside to make sure it is secure to the circle.  I actually repeated this process and placed another layer of sides to go around since this is what was going to hold up the entire pinata.
  4. Use a hole punch or another tool to create a couple holes to hold the twine or rope that will be hanging the pinata.
  5. Pull the twine or ribbon through the holes and tie a knot inside (so it won't show on the outside)
  6. Fill the inside of the pinata.  
  7. Glue and tape down the other circle. 
  8. Cut the tissue paper into strips and cut slits into them.
  9. Glue them all around the sides of the pinata.






What upcycled crafts have you been working on?  Any parties you are planning soon?  Let me know, I'd love to hear about it!

Happy recycling!













If you're in the Jacksonville area and are in need of birthday cakes and dessert bakeries, visit the roundup post I wrote that's now live on Jacksonville Moms Blog

If you enjoyed this post, please pin it and/or share!  Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date. :)

This post may have been shared at these parties.


lou lou girls linky party

Epic Mommy Adventures


Welcome to My Circus

Related Posts

 


http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/05/brodys-diy-graduation-cap-pinata.html
http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/06/broken-crayons-reused-for-color-block.html






















Easter and Spring Crafts Using Recycled Material

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers