Friday, February 6, 2015

#AskAwayFriday with April: Love and Romance Edition

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

Love, Romance and Dating

 

Do you remember your most romantic date or the first time you said, "I love you," to someone?  I'm remembering it all now and am glad I do since Valentine's Day is coming up fast.  I'm reminiscing thanks to my new Ask Away Friday buddy this week, April, who blogs at April Noelle is Finding Favor.  She asked me all about love, romance and dating for the upcoming heart-filled holiday next week known as Valentine's Day.


 Ask Away Friday

Here's some information if you're not familiar with Ask Away Friday... #AskAwayFriday was created by the amazing Penny from Real Housewife of Caroline County and Amber from Bold Fit Mom, as a way to connect with other bloggers with a great Q & A session of 10 questions and 10 answers, between two bloggers!  It's a fun way to get to know other bloggers and connect.

 photo 2015badge_zps86242864.png

Meet April


April blogs over at her site, April Noelle is Finding Favor  so don't forget to visit her there, look around and read some of her thoughtful and inspiring posts.  She is married and is a mother to four little cuties!  April writes about her family life, faith, journey with weight-loss and more.  She is also an author which is awesome so check out her books when you're done here. :)

Now, let's talk a little more about love this week.  Here are the questions April asked me...
What was the most romantic evening with your husband?

We both always talk about this one date, many years ago - I believe it was our first Valentine's Day as a married couple, we went to one of our favorite places, St. Augustine, FL and had a picnic at the park.  It was evening, so it did get dark while we were there and were the only ones sitting around on the grass.  That just made it more romantic and intimate, however, along with the homemade dessert I made which was like a fruit parfait (I can't remember exactly what it was) but my hubby still talks about it.  I'll have to try to re-make that one day, hmmm..maybe this Valentine's Day??  We also sneaked some wine into our picnic basket.  Afterward, we took a horse and carriage ride and since it was cold, we cuddled up together in a large blanket.  

What was your most disappointing date that you've had?
I went on a date with a guy while I was in college and after the date, he wouldn't leave.  Things just got really awkward, haha. I almost forgot about that until now...I think that was probably the most disappointing one because it was like a never-ending date that I didn't want to be on!

Show us a photo where you were the most in love!  
Last year we attended a wedding for our friends and there was a photo booth during the reception.  I think these pics captured us being in love pretty well...


Every year, my son brings home a Valentine from school. Do you have a notable handmade Valentine?  
My son has made other homemade cards and pictures from school but I'm not sure about a Valentine's one from school...unless I just can't find it...oops!  Here is a picture he drew, though, that I love.  He brought this home from school last year:

What would be the perfect romantic night?  
I've always wanted to do a scavenger hunt-type date that leads me to the destination where he is waiting for me.  Through the whole thing before meeting up with him, I would have to pick up items or find clues to get to the next place.  The clues would involve our past dates, experiences or things that are sentimental to us.  Finally, it would lead to us seeing each other and he would be waiting with either dinner, a dessert and/or maybe even have me meet him at a show or concert.  
I just think it would be fun and romantic.  I know it's something that he would have to put thought into and plan ahead of time so I think that makes it more special just because we rarely plan what we're going to do when we do actually do go out. 

You've got $50 and two hours kid-free. What would you do with your husband?  
There's so much I can think of... let's see, if the weather is nice, we would go to the beach for a walk on the pier.  We haven't been there in so long but that's where he proposed to me and we used to visit it more when we lived closer to the beach.  We also enjoy sitting down together at small eateries to talk and enjoy dessert so we would probably do that at one of our favorite restaurants near the beach.
 

What do you like more: flowers or chocolate? Why? 
I like flowers and think fresh, live ones in the house make the house feel more lively and pretty but I'm a chocolate-lover so I'm going with chocolate! Plus, I don't have to water it or fear that I'll kill it too soon!

Chocolate, M&M's, Hearts
Mini Chocolate Heart Boxes we made recently that are filled with M&M's


What keeps your love going strong?
Chocolate and wine, lots of wine!  Just kidding (that's for keeping my sanity with the kids)!  In our marriage, I would say constantly finding ways to keep things interesting.  This year, for instance, one of the things on our couples bucket list is to do more outdoor activities and volunteer work.  Also, learning to be understanding with one another and to both be equally invested in our relationship.  It's not always easy, it goes up and down like marriage is expected to but standing firm and holding onto the marriage as a commitment keeps our love going strong.

What are your biggest turn-ons? What are your biggest turn-offs? 
I wasn't sure if this was just for my hubby or not but I'll answer it for just what I think in general for men, no matter who the guy is:

Biggest turn-ons: having a kind heart, being a gentleman, being adventurous, having his own goals and initiative like doing things (cleaning, taking care of the kids and cooking without being asked, hehe) is a big turn-on.  Also, not being too selfish where he only cares about his own ambitions but he is your biggest supporter.  Oh yeah, a man who lets you 'hold the remote control' and is willing to watch your TV shows with you!




Biggest turn-offs: being selfish, a man who is constantly worried about what others think, someone who isn't willing to try new things.

Who said "I love you" first? Tell us the story.  

My hubby said it first.  We were watching TV one night.  I was sitting on the couch and he was on the floor next to me.  He looked up at me and told me he loved me.  It was completely unexpected and I didn't know if he was planning on telling me that night or if it was just spontaneous.  I don't think I've ever asked him but I will now!  I was taken aback for a second but I realized at that moment that I loved him, too, so I went ahead and said it back.

Thank you for the questions, April, they were fun to answer and think about!  If you'd like to swap with me, let me know and don't forget to join the Ask Away Friday Facebook group.  Now, head over to April's blog to see how she answered my questions about love, romance and Valentine's Day.

How about the rest of you?  What do you prefer, chocolate or flowers or neither?  Are you a romantic?  Share and let me know!














 If you enjoyed this post, please share, share, share!

This post may have been shared at these parties.

Related Posts

 

Ask Away Friday with Cascia at Talbert Zoo

Ask Away Friday Love and Marriage Edition

Ask Away Friday with Stacey at This Momma's Ramblings

  

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory