Written by, Bernadyn Nettles
Betty Crocker™ Potatoes - Cheesy Hashbrown Turnovers and Meatballs for the Holidays
A big part of the holidays are enjoying delicious, holiday food and for many people, part of their memories are in cooking up those meals. I love cooking and sharing dishes at holiday gatherings but during the holidays, I want to make more memories away from the kitchen and spend time with my family. That is why I am happy to use Betty Crocker™ Casserole Potatoes. Betty Crocker™ Casserole Potato Mixes are great to use for a tasty holiday potato recipe that is simple to create. That is just what I wanted to accomplish with this campaign that I am excited to share with you today. It's called "Get Your Betty On and Celebrate the Holidays with Delicious and Flavorful Dishes From Betty Crocker™ Potatoes!" I chose to use Betty Crocker™ Potatoes Cheesy Hashbrown mix to make turnovers and meatballs. These are two holiday potato recipes that make tasty side dishes or appetizers during this holiday season to help you spend more time celebrating the holidays with your family and friends.
***Thank you to Betty Crocker™ Potatoes for sponsoring today's discussion! This article is financially supported by Betty Crocker™ Potatoes . All opinions expressed are my own. Read my full Disclosure Policy.***
Let's step back to a time when I was not passionate about cooking and when I tried to spend as little time as I could in the kitchen! One year, many years ago, I helped out my mom for a holiday party she was having and whipped up chicken drumsticks to bring. I really didn't know what I was doing and made the classic mistake of overcooking them in the oven, creating dry chicken no one wanted to eat. What a disaster and a terrible cooking experience as a memory! If you think you might have something like this happen to you this holiday, you can prevent that with using Betty Crocker™ Potatoes mixes!
Simple and Fool-Proof Holiday Potato Recipes
I wanted to incorporate a bit of my holiday food traditions which are inspired by my family's Filipino heritage. A classic Filipino food that is also well-known here in America is our Filipino egg rolls (lumpia). My family usually does not eat this too often except when we attend family parties and social gatherings during the holiday season.
|Filipino Egg Rolls (Lumpia), a classic Filipino food typically found at parties and holiday gatherings.|
Lumpia is a tasty food that's perfect for a regular meal or to serve as appetizers and finger food during parties. I was aiming for the same finger/party food results with the Betty Crocker™ Potatoes using the Cheesy Hashbrown mix.
Let's start with the Cheesy Hashbrown Turnovers
What You Need:
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Cheesy Hashbrown
- Half a pound ground beef
- 1 cup carrots, minced
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1/2 cup onions, minced
- 2 eggs, (1 for the mix and 1 in a separate bowl)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Splash of low-sodium soy sauce
- Spring Rolls wraps
Note: if you are using a food processor, be carefeul not to create a juicy substance when you are mincing the vegetables. It's best to put them in as dry as possible and pulse a few times before they turn soggy.
- Cook Cheesy Hashbrown on stovetop according to directions on box, then, let cool completely. For the turnovers, I did not use all of the hashbrowns but a little less than 2 cups.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (except for 1 egg) and incorporate fully.
- Place the other egg in a small bowl and scramble.
- Using scissors, cut the Spring Roll wraps in half to form a triangle shape. You can take about five wraps at a time to do this.
- Use a melon ball scoop or a tablespoon measuring cup to scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the batter onto the wrap, placing the batter in the middle of the wrap with the pointed edge of the triangle on top.
6. Fold both sides inward toward the top point and seal with egg.
7. Then, take pointed edge at bottom and bring together with other pointed edge on top to create a triangle.
8. Repeat this to make as many turnovers as you desire.
9. When ready to cook, use a large pan and pour in enough oil to fry the turnovers. Turn on the stove to medium-high heat. Make sure oil is sizzling hot before placing turnovers in pan to cook.
10. Place turnovers in pan, about 2-3 at a time and cook on one side for 1 minute or until golden brown. Flip over to cook other side. You may need to flip it over again. It should take about 3 minutes to cook.
You can still pair it with the typical egg roll dipping sauce like soy sauce or sweet chili sauce or do without.
Cheesy Hashbrown Meatballs
I also wanted to try a slightly different recipe using the Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes to make meatballs. The flavor for this recipe is different and uses honey barbecue sauce.
Using the same ingredients but instead, removing the soy sauce from the batter, you need to add in seasoned bread crumbs and about 4-5 tablespoons of honey barbecue sauce.
Combine all the ingredients and shape into balls.
Fry the meatballs in the pan for about 2 minutes or until fully cooked.
These also make nice appetizers for any holiday gatherings you may be attending this season!
Here are more reasons you'll love Betty Crocker™ Potatoes:
- Simple and easy to prepare
- Make a delicious and hearty meal
- Perfect for the holidays to create upgrades with a box
- Uses 100% real potatoes
- 11 different varieties of casserole potatoes to choose from to make a wide variety of dishes
This campaign runs from December 11, 2014 - January 1, 2015
Don't forget to download the $.50 off coupon (for 2 boxes) so that you, too can #GetYourBettyOn! Use the coupon to purchase Betty Crocker™ Casserole Potatoes for yourself. Try out my recipes or create your own! Hurry and head over to your local grocery store since the coupon is only available for a limited time! I purchased my box from Wal-Mart.
PayPal Cash Giveaway
Bonus! Along with the coupon to receive $.50/2 boxes, Betty Crocker™ Potatoes is also giving away $15 via Paypal cash to one lucky winner! Enter below and don't forgot to visit Betty Crocker™ Potatoes via social media and their website.
***Disclosure: The information, products and Betty Crocker™ Potato gift cards were provided by Betty Crocker™ through Linqia.***
Where are you going to purchase your Betty Crocker Potato Mix and what recipe would you create with it?
This post may have been shared at these parties.
This post was featured at:
If you are a blogger who may be interested in working with campaigns like this, I invite you to learn more here.
a Rafflecopter giveaway