Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Save Money with DIY Liquid Hand Soap and Free Printables

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

 

DIY Homemade Liquid Hand Soap and Free Printables

 


A couple months ago, I tried this DIY liquid hand soap recipe that I saw on Pinterest (I apologize for not including the link to that, I can't find it on my Pinterest boards now...grrr).  I did modify it a little, however, and have been happy with the results so far.  I'm always experimenting, though, so if I find a better way to do this, I will update this post!  If you would like to save money on liquid hand soap, this recipe would be worth a try to help out your wallet!

Only Two Ingredients Required for This Liquid Hand Soap Recipe

 

Frugal, Reuse, Recycle

You only need two ingredients to create this homemade liquid hand soap recipe:

  1. 1 bar of soap - I have used Ivory and Dial soap since they come in a pack of three for only a dollar.  I found that I prefer the Dial soap.
  2. 7-8 cups of boiling water, I wouldn't recommend using more than 8 cups per 1 bar of soap since the consistency will be too diluted.
Other Ingredients You May Need:
  • Large pot to boil water
  • Cheese grater or chopping block and sharp knife
  • Funnel
  • Jars, plastic bottles or any type of soap dispenser containers
  • Lemon, Lavender oil or other scented oils for fragrance, optional

Instructions:


  1. Use a cheese grater to grate a bar of soap or you can chop the bar into small bits.  
  2. In a large pot, bring water to a boil on medium-high heat.  Once it begins to boil, lower temperature to low. 
  3. Add in soap and boil until all the soap is completely dissolved.  Watch to make sure water doesn't boil over.  Stir occasionally.
  4. You can add in a few drops of lemon or other scented oils for fragrance.
  5. Use the funnel to pour soap into containers.  Be careful while pouring since soap will be very hot!

You will most likely have leftover soap.  I used glass jars or reused milk jugs to save the rest until needed.

Be sure you wash the pot and other kitchen tools well after using or reserve certain kitchen items only for the purpose of using to make recipes like these.

Saving Money with DIY Hand Soap 

 

This recipe has saved us more money since you can buy three bars of soap for only a dollar and you only need one bar of soap to make a batch.  The recipe typically lasts us about two months of hand soap.


Reusing and Recycling Jars and Plastic Containers




Frugal, Home, Recycle

To further save money and to be more green-friendly, making your own liquid hand soap is also the perfect time to reuse glass and plastic containers.  I reused maple jars for my soap dispensers and some glass jars to store the extra soap.  I saved the old soap dispenser  from when I was buying store-bought liquid hand soap.  The pumps fit perfectly around these jars.  I did have to cut the tub shorter for the smaller maple jar.

See here for more ways to reuse glass jars and bottles.

You can also add labels to them for an extra touch. 

Free Printables

 

I went ahead and made some printables to use to place on the soap containers, to frame in the bathroom, as tags or for whatever you like...  


 



 



































 

Have you ever made your own liquid hand soap?  What tips do you have?  Please share, I'd love to hear them!

Happy saving!


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers