Written by, Bernadyn Nettles
Happy Friday! This was the first week of September and I feel like it went by in a flash, does anyone else feel that way? I know the rest of the year will probably fly by, too because of the return of school, Halloween and the holidays approaching. Let's cross our fingers, though, because I don't want this year to be over yet...so many things I still need to get done! My little girl's birthday is this month, too, so we're planning for that. She'll be three soon...yikes! The clock needs to slow down! For now, TGIF! Today is another day for #AskAwayFriday, something I now look forward to every Friday!
What is #AskAwayFriday?
It is a great way for bloggers to get to know each other by asking a set of ten questions and the other person has to answer them in a post. Fun, right? I love looking through other people's blogs to learn more about them and #AskAwayFriday is the perfect way to do that, too. This week, I had the chance to exchange questions with Jenessa who blogs at Mothering in Real Life. She blogs about parenting, her family and her battle with depression. I admire the way she writes and the fresh, open and honest topics she discusses. I loved reading her new and past posts and I'm sure you will, too, so be sure to check out her blog!
Now, onto the questions she asked and my answers...
1) Share with us 5 random facts about each of your children.
Random facts about my son, Brody:
1. He is so goofy and hilarious, he can brighten my day just by talking with him. He can always make me laugh.
2. He loves pizza, lemons and cinnamon rolls ...not all at the same time. at least, I don't think he would eat it all together!
3. He loves playing board games with us.
4. He is currently obsessed with Star Wars, Legos and Transformer toys.
5. He taught himself how to swim, we helped a little but one day he just did it without using his swim vest or floating devices. He just needed to get over his fear and now he loves the water.
Random facts about my daughter, Lyla:
1. Her favorite things right now are anything Frozen and Barbie.
2. She loves painting and drawing.
3. Her favorite songs are "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and "Let it Go."
4. She loves Nutella - I wonder where she gets that from ;)
5. She wants to go to dance class.
2) I love your children's names! Did you find choosing names to be easy or hard? Did you have any other options? Is there a story behind either name?
Thank you! I found it so hard, there were so many names we liked and narrowing them down wasn't easy for either name. For Brody, we decided since he was a boy, my hubby would name him and he wanted a name to start with a "B" also, like mine, so that's why he chose Brody. We liked the idea, too, of keeping a "Y" somewhere in there since we both have a "Y" in our name.
For our daughter, an option for a name that we were first looking at was Seraphina but then I decided that I wanted to make it into a family tradition to name her after a song, like my mom did for me ("Bernardine" by Pat Boone but she altered it to Bernadyn). I was searching for more names when I came across a story about a dad who named his daughter after the song, "Lyla" by Oasis. I fell in love with the name and then added her middle name, Brielle, so it still started with a "B."
3) If you had a day to yourself with no kids or husband, how would you spend it?
I would go to the beach, maybe run or jog, get in the water, read a book while relaxing on the sand, then, head to a coffee shop for coffee or tea. Eat lunch and then I would love to watch a movie. A nap would be after all that or fit in somewhere there, maybe I would even check into a hotel somewhere and actually order room service!
4) What advice would you give to other bloggers trying to get their writing published?
Look at websites that accept posts and if it looks like a good fit for you, send them a pitch. A good place to start your search that I recently found is a website, called Beyond Your Blog. They have a list of sources that you can look through for places to submit work. I believe it was through them where I found Ella and Annie Magazine and they accepted my work. I've written a couple articles for them now - two on their blog and next month, they'll be printing one of my articles for their print magazine so I'm super excited and grateful for finding them.
Another tip, which I also need to do more: it really helps to state on your blog that you are open to writing for others, whether it be as guest blog posts or other types of writing. Also, look at bigger, blog sites and websites. BlogHer is a popular one. Keep up with different sites that you want to submit work. They may make an announcement when they are looking for contributors. A book that many writers use as a major resource to find places to submit work in various publications is the book, "Writer's Market." You can find it in bookstores, the library and through Amazon. (I shared the link below).
Sometimes, unexpected companies will find you (the most surprising for me was when a credit card company found me and I wrote a piece for them). I suggest to continue writing consistently on your blog and write well. You never know who is looking!
5) If you had to choose one type of creative outlet (writing, photography, crafting, etc.) which would be your favorite and why?
Writing has always been something I have enjoyed and turned to as my way to express myself ever since I was a young child. I kept several journals and I enjoy all kinds of writing. I like to dabble in different styles so for me, it's something where my creativity can be expressed the most and as much as I love photography, cooking and crafting, I feel that writing just comes to me more naturally.
6) You have a great page for link-ups and blog hops. Do you have a favorite or one you would recommend to other bloggers? (Besides #AskAwayFriday - because we already know that one is awesome!)
True, #AskAwayFriday is awesome! I love it! I have so many link ups that I enjoy participating in. I don't always get to link up with them all but a few that I consistently try to link up to weekly are:
- Lou Lou Girls
- Merry Monday
- ClaireJustine's parties
- Try a New Recipe Tuesday
- This Momma's Meandering Mondays
- Turn It Up Tuesdays
- Wake Up Wednesdays
- Oh My Heartsie Girl parties
- The New PinFest
- Social Media Mixer
7) What advice would you give to new moms making the transition from working mom to stay-at-home mom?
Prepare for the adjustment before it happens so you know what to expect. I was working two jobs when I was pregnant so becoming a stay-at-home mom was a big change for me because I was used to constantly being out of the home and just being a busy body. Set a schedule for yourself as much as possible to make it easier for you to balance your time between caring for your kids, the house, other obligations and yourself. Keep up your hobbies and find new ones. Make time for friends and try to stay social.
8) I see you love to travel. Can you share some of your favorite vacation photos?
Most of our vacations take place in Orlando since my kids love the theme parks and there's so much family-friendly activities to do in Orlando. One of my all-time fave vacation photo is from our family trip to Islands of Adventure:
Visiting Downtown Disney in Orlando, FL:
Visiting Daytona Beach:
9) Which photographers inspire your photography style? (Or do you have favorite photographers that you look up to?)
I would love to study more work from a range of photographers. Right now, most of the photographers I admire come from those I follow on Instagram, such as:
1 - Favorite Food? I love shrimp, bacon, Thai curry, sushi and cupcakes (not all together, though!)
2 - Favorite Movie? I have so many, here are a few: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, The Bodyguard, The Wizard of Oz, The Nightmare Before Christmas, 27 Dresses
3 - Favorite Way to Relax? Read, sit by the pool or hang out at the beach
4 - Favorite Children's Book? The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
5 - Favorite Ice Cream Flavor? Mint chocolate and coffee
I had so much fun answering these questions, thank you for asking them, Jenessa! Head on over to Mothering in Real Life to see the questions I asked her like her favorite desserts she is looking forward to in the fall and where she expects to see her blog in five years.
Join Us At #AskAwayFriday
If you'd like your own questions to answer, join us at #AskAwayFriday on Facebook and send out a #BuddyRequest! Hope to see you there!
Enjoy your weekend, everyone!
***This post contains affiliate links in which I may receive a small commission if you purchase through the links. All thoughts are my own. Read my full Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!!***
#AskAwayFriday with Saving Everyday with Sonya K
#AskAwayFriday with MrsTeeLoveLifeLaughter
Where I Party
This post may have been shared at these parties.