Thursday, September 25, 2014

#AskAwayFriday with Christy at Uplifting Families

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

 

#AskAwayFriday with Christy at Uplifting Families

 


Happy Friday, everyone!  It's been a busy week here and we still have lots to do.  We're looking forward to a fun weekend since this week is my daughter's birthday week.  She turned 3, oh no... My little baby is growing way too fast!  There's been plenty of excitement at our house from this growing and celebrating but since it's Friday, I'm also excited for another round of Ask Away Friday.  This week, my new buddy for Ask Away Friday is Christy who blogs at Uplifting Families.


Displaying Christy-G.jpg
Meet Christy at Uplifting Families

Christy has a wonderful family that she shares with us through her blog.  Christy's blog is also filled with helpful information for parents from reviews on baby gear, products, books and insightful stories on her own parenting experiences.  There's so much to learn on her site.  She offers lots of great resources and information so be sure to check it out and to also see how she answered the questions I asked her.

 

What is #AskAwayFriday?



If you're not familiar with Ask Away Friday, it is a fun way for bloggers to connect and get to know one another a little better.  You each exchange a set of 10 questions that you both answer on your own blogs.  There's a linky party for it every Friday so if you're looking for some new blogger friends and a fun party to join in, check it out!  More info on Ask Away Friday below. 
Now, onto the questions that Christy asked me...

1. What is the best parenting advice that you ever received? "The laundry and dirty house will still be there the next day but playtime and little moments that you may take for granted won't always be." I still have to remind myself to take this advice and take advantage while my kids actually want me in their rooms! 

2. If a new mom approached you, what advice would you give her? Most everything in parenting is trial and error, follow your instincts and find what works best for you, your child and your family.  We all make mistakes but we all also make great choices so even though you'll have tough days, focus on something positive every day and remember everyone goes through bad days.  Try your best, seek help when you need it and take time for yourself to recharge.  Always remember that no matter what, to your own kids, you are Super Mom!


3. You have a wide variety of topics on your blog, what is your favorite topic to write about? Writing about my family, parenting experiences and adventures we have together.  


http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2013/08/bring-on-those-gators.html
Our adventure at St. Augustine's Alligator Farm




4. What is your favorite blog post? I have a few but my first post I've published is one that I still hold dear to my heart and also this post about some of the funny things that my son used to say and do.  They both bring back memories and remind me why I began my blog in the first place - to keep track of the special moments during these young years raising my family.


5. I can’t believe that the kids are already back in school, what is your favorite go to meal to serve during the week? I know, same here!  The summer goes by so much faster now.  For my kids, they always eat anything with pasta or chicken so spaghetti is high on the list and a dish with chicken will be a hit with them.  We've been making veggie spaghetti more using squash.  They love chicken tenders and my son loves chicken wings so those are always good ideas during the week for us.


6.  I remember when I was growing up that my parents let me play outside unattended with my friend as long as I told her where I was going. I never let my kids go outside unattended, do you allow your children to play outside by themselves? If they are still too young, will you let them play outside when they are older by themselves? I remember playing outside on my own when I was a little older, too.  My kids are still too young to play on their own outside but I still don't feel safe letting them do so when they're older.  I'd at least stay with them, play with them, too or ask the other children's parents to be there with them if they're at their house. 


7. Do you feel like kids are expected to learn more at school and don’t get enough time to be a kid? What is your take on this? We've actually been talking about this lately since my child is in first grade now and we were  informed by his teacher that they would like to place him in their gifted program.  I wanted to make sure that he's not going to be required to do even more work that may overwhelm him instead of help him.  I think with our public schools here, they do emphasize the state tests more so that the kids are expected to learn so much in so little time since their grades on the tests determines a lot for the school.  Since my kids are still so young, I would rather them enjoy being a kid and stay on track at school but not do too much work that takes away time to do all the fun kid stuff. 


8. What is your favorite “me” time activity? Reading is my favorite activity to wind down and have some time for myself...the perfect scenario would be a good book and a cold drink while I'm on a beach or lounging by a pool or a cup of hot tea or coffee while I'm sitting on the couch curled up with a book.  I feel like I haven't read a book in so long for leisure even though I'm part of a book club!  It was cancelled last month since we've all been busy lately and I still have yet to read that book and the upcoming book for this month.  FYI, I'll be posting about our book club and the books we're planning on reading so if anyone is interested, we'd love to have you!  We're opening it up so people can participate online since we're fairly new and would love to have more members. ;)  


9. If you won a $500 dollar shopping spree (you could only spend it on yourself), what would you spend the money on?  Oh, how I wish this were true! I'm in need of a new good camera so I would put it toward that.

10. If you had to start over on your blog, would you still choose blogger or would you opt for a self hosted website? I love blogger and how user-friendly it is but with how much I blog now and am planning to do more with my blog, I would choose a self hosted website instead from the start.


  

 

Ask Away Friday on Facebook



Thanks so much for the great questions, Christy!  Head over to Uplifting Families to say hi to Christy and see her answers to my questions.  If you'd like to join in on the fun, too, check out Ask Away Friday's Facebook group and send out a #Buddyrequest  Let me know if you join so we could exchange questions!

Enjoy your weekend!



#JustBecause Giveaway Ends Soon!

 

 

Enter this month's giveaway hop!  Since it's a hop, there's plenty of other giveaways to enter, too and unlimited prizes to win!  

 Where I Party


This post may have been shared at these parties.



Related Posts

 

 

More Ask Away Friday posts that you may want to read...

  

#AskAwayFriday with Stacey at This Momma's Ramblings 

#AskAwayFriday with Echo at Domain of the Mad Mommy

#AskAwayFriday with Jenessa at Mothering in Real Life

#AskAwayFriday with MrsTeeLoveLifeLaughter


#AskAwayFriday with Saving Everyday with Sonya K

 

 I would appreciate your vote!  You can vote once a day, thank you!

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers