Thursday, August 14, 2014

Sea Shells Summer Wreath DIY Tutorial


Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

 

Sea Shells Summer Wreath

 

Summer has been filled with water fun for my family - going to the beach, swimming in the pool and splashing around at various children's splash parks.  Since we've been going to the beach a lot, we have been bringing home sea shells.  I am a big fan of sea shells, I think they are so pretty and love the different shapes they can come in.  I wanted to use them around the house for decor so I decided to make a wreath ...since I'm also obsessed with wreaths!
 

Beach Decor, Sea Shells, Wreath

 

Beach Decor


Summer, Beach Decor, DIY

I began with reusing these white soft, bendable tubes that I can not for the life of me remember where they came from.  I do know that I'm happy to recycle it and create cute wreaths with it.  (It's the same one I used for my 4th of July wreath).

The kids painted some shells the pretty sea foam color and I decided to use twine and rope-like material I had lying around the house.  I wanted to incorporate the corks I had somehow, too but couldn't figure out how to do it so it didn't make the final cut. 


Summer, Wreath, Sea Shells

How to Make A Sea Shells Summer Wreath


What You Need:


  • Something for the frame of the wreath.  I used these two soft, bendable tubes and taped them together to create the round shape.
  • Sea shells
  • Rope-like material (I bought this last year at the craft store)
  • Twine
  • Masking tape
  • Hot glue and hot glue gun
  • Wooden anchor (also available at craft stores)
  • Acrylic paint
  • Paint brush


Sea Shells, Wreath, Beach Decor

Instructions:

  1. Start with taping the tubes together if you need to.
  2. Then, tape down the beginning part of the twine and begin wrapping twine around on one side until you have covered halfway around the frame.  You can discreetly tie the twine end in between itself to hide it.
  3. Wrap other side with the rope-like material.  You can either use tape or hot glue to keep it down since this material is thicker.
  4. When you're done wrapping to meet the twine side, hot glue it down toward the inside of the wreath.
  5. Paint the sea shells whatever color you desire, optional.  Allow to dry.
  6. Paint the anchor.  Allow to dry.
  7. Decide where you would like the shells on the wreath and then glue down.
  8. Find a spot for the anchor and glue down.
  9. Use twine, rope or a wreath holder to hang the wreath.

Wreath, Summer Decor, Beach

Pretty Sea Shells 



The kids enjoyed helping out by painting the sea shells and the anchor.  



Nautical Decor, DIY Wreath, Sea Shells

Beach Decor, DIY Wreath, Anchor

Nautical Theme


I love nautical-themed decor so I knew this summer wreath was not complete until I had a cute anchor as part of the embellishment.

DIY Wreath, Beach Decor, Sea Shells

Beach Decor, DIY Wreath, Sea Shells
I think the anchor goes well with the rope wrapped around to give it more of that nautical feel.


The rest of the sea shells were placed in a glass vase for display and some were used to decorate picture frames which I will post soon so be sure to check back for that!

How do you like to use sea shells you bring home?  Let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear your creative ideas!




 

Related Posts

 

http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/07/4th-of-july-treats-and-decorations.html

http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/06/broken-crayons-reused-for-color-block.html

http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/05/brodys-diy-graduation-cap-pinata.html

 

This post may have been shared at these parties.



My Pinterventures

The Retro Re-pin Party




If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers