Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Gluten-Free No-Nut Butter Brownies Adapted From Debbie Adler


Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

 

Gluten-Free No-Nut Butter Brownies

 

Adapted from Debbie Adler's Sunflower Buttercup Brownies



Having someone in your family with any type of food allergies can be challenging when it comes to cooking and baking certain recipes.  That someone in my family is my husband and father.  My father has diabetes and my husband has a nut allergy.  Luckily, I recently received a complimentary copy of an amazing cookbook, Sweet Debbie's Organic Treats Allergy-Free & Vegan Recipes to help me out and give me more ideas for recipes to create that won't harm those with food allergies!

Who is Debbie Adler?


Debbie Adler owns a famous Los Angeles Bakery that opened in 2006.  The bio in the cookbook states, "Sweet Debbie has been featured in Pilates Style magazine and on InStyle online and E! Online, among others.  Her recipes have been published online by Food Allergy Research and Education, The Chalkboard and Life Goes Strong and on AllergyMoms.com."  I visited her website and was inspired by the story behind how she began her venture with creating delicious, organic and vegan-friendly food.  She then found out that her son had severe allergies to multiple food,  motivating her even more to create recipes that were also gluten-free and allergy-free. You can read more about her story at her website: Sweet Debbie's Organic Cupcakes.



  Christmas Came Early!


There were no strings attached for the cookbook **(i.e. I was not asked to review the cookbook or any products nor did I receive any monetary compensation or other form of compensation).**  I just simply want to share her amazing cookbook with you all since her recipes offer several health benefits, especially for anyone who is on a gluten-free or allergy-free diet.   I was ecstatic, of course, to receive the cookbook (if you know me, you know I have a sweet tooth and have been interested in eating and making more healthier and organic recipes myself).  I let her know that my husband has a nut allergy so I am always looking for ways to make tasty but nut-free desserts.  I received the cookbook in a matter of a couple of days.  It was like Christmas had arrived in my mailbox...yay, Christmas in July! 

Cast of Ingredients to Bake Allergy-Free, Vegan-Friendly and Gluten-Free Organic Sweets


This cookbook is a must-have for anyone who wants to be able to indulge on organic, allergy-free and gluten-free sweets.  It is packed with so many scrumptious-looking desserts.  There's something for everyone in here.  My favorite part of the cookbook, however, is the list that Debbie Adler generously provides of all the ingredients you need to bake with to create recipes that are safe to eat if you have allergies or if you just want to enjoy healthier baked goods.  She eliminates the hard work for us by explaining how the "cast" of ingredients she lists can be used in baking.  

A Healthier Savory Side

 

The majority of recipes in the cookbook are to quench any sweet cravings you may have but the book also includes a savory side, too!  Recipes to make healthier bread recipes like Potato Pizza Wheels, Guacomole Rolls, Pumpcornbread and more are included, as well.  

What Should We Bake?


I had everyone in the house just as excited as I was to crack open the cookbook.  My hubby and kids know how I am when it comes to the idea of baked goods!  Since my husband is allergic to nuts, the first thing we wanted to try from the cookbook was a peanut-alternative dessert. 

We let our son choose which one he wanted to try so he chose the Sunflower Buttercup Brownies recipe.

We used what ingredients we could find at the store and what we already had at home so as not to waste, therefore, creating a slightly altered recipe.  We used No-Nut Butter instead of sunflower seed butter.  The recipe also called for guar gum and coconut nectar, which we couldn't find at the time when we were shopping.  The guar gum helps to bind the ingredients together and the book suggests using xantham gum to replace guar gum.

We were just itching to start the baking process...and so, drum roll, please....

Ta-da!!!

We loved that they were bite-size and my son and I are chocolate lovers so this was a party in our mouths.  
My kids love to help mix all the ingredients.  One of the steps was to create a well to drop in the eggs.  The kids enjoyed seeing that and thought it was the coolest thing they saw in the mixing bowl!

This is the recipe we created instead, inspired by Sweet Debbie's brownie :

No-Nut Butter Brownies 

that are Gluten-free, Vegan-Friendly and Allergy-Free



My dad is diabetic so I'd like to make more desserts for him to be able to enjoy, too.

Recipe for Gluten-Free No-Nut Butter Brownies



What You Need:

  • 24 mini paper baking cups
  • 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp sodium-free baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened appleasauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-2 tsp Stevia powder
  • 1 cup No-Nut Butter
  • 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips 

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Line mini muffin pans with baking cups
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  Make a well in the middle.
  4. Add the grapeseed oil, applesauce, vanilla and Stevia.  Stir to combine.  
  5. Add the No-But Butter and stir to combine.  
  6. Fold in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips. 
  7. Spoon the batter into the baking cups, filling to the top.
  8. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips on top.
  9. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown and bounce back slightly to the touch. 
  10. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before removing the brownies to cool completely.

Since there were no peanuts used, my hubby was happy to be able to enjoy this small treat that was packed with the peanut butter flavor.  Of course, if you follow the actual sunflower seed butter recipe, the taste would probably be slightly different.  I know the texture would come out differently since the photo in the cookbook shows the brownies with a more crumbly texture.  



Visit Sweet Debbie's Organic Cupcakes


Don't forget to visit Debbie Adler's site and if you're in the Los Angeles area, grab an organic cupcake or other sweet treat at her bakery, Sweet Debbie's Organic Cupcakes.  Let her know I sent you (although she may not remember me!) I'm sure she has tons of fans raving about her cookbook!  

Do you need to eat allergy-free or gluten-free?  What treats do you enjoy while on this diet?

Happy baking!















If you enjoyed this post, please pin it and share!

 

Related Posts

 

http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/07/brodys-gluten-free-dairy-free-chocolate.html

http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/05/brownie-or-cupcake-flourless-nutella.html

http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/05/brittle-made-with-nutella-and.html


Where I Party

This post may have been shared at these linky parties and blog hops.


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers