Wednesday, July 2, 2014

4th of July Treats and Decorations

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles



4th of July Decor and Treats


It's been a busy week, especially since we're on summer break but in honor of Independence Day, the kids and I have wanted to take some time to create a few little decorations and treats for the holiday...

 

 

4th of July Wreath

 

 

We made this simple wreath by re-using these two soft, bendable foam tubes.  To be honest, I have no idea what they were from but I know I wanted to save them to create a small wreath eventually.  I decided to use them now for the upcoming holiday.  They were very easy to bend and we just needed to use some masking tape to hold them together.  

 

After that, we simply wrapped a wide ribbon all around.  Last, we added a simple bow on the side (that's where my son said it looked best).  We attached the top ribbon to hang it by stapling it on to the top of the wreath. 

  
  
It probably only took us about five minutes to make.  Quick, easy and we were able to recycle something, which is always a bonus! 

 4th of July Cupcakes


 We also wanted to make some cupcakes to go with the holiday. 


Since we've been so busy, I decided to bake these the quick and easy way...by using box cake mix!  I just picked up some white cake mix while we were grocery shopping recently.  The kids enjoyed mixing in the red and blue colors.  We also added in some red, white and blue sprinkles in a few of them.


We placed a big heap of buttercream icing on top of them with more sprinkles...


The red icing has some cocoa baking powder to darken up the red color.


4th of July Chocolate-Covered Popcorn


My  little girl loves popcorn (and I am obsessed with chocolate!) so we added in some Wilton's Candy Melts, (white chocolate with colored sprinkles) into the bowl, topped with more patriotic sprinkles.





My little boy actually likes eating white cake without the icing.  My little girl usually just likes to eat the icing!


4th of July Fro-yo Pops

 

 These frozen yogurt pops are so easy to make and my little girl has been eating them all summer.  We buy the big container of vanilla low-fat yogurt and freeze some in popsicle containers or in this case, I used recycled fruit cups and stuck popsicle sticks into them.  This time, I added in the patriotic sprinkles, too.  You can use any flavor of yogurt and add in fresh fruit before freezing for more flavor.  


These are just some easy, quick goodies we whipped up this week to kick off the 4th of July holiday.  

What are your plans for the 4th of July holiday?

Have a good one and Happy 4th! Thank you to all our military personnel and their families for everything you do to continue to uphold our country's freedom and to be able to celebrate this great holiday!





Related Posts:



http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/05/bring-on-memorial-day-treats.html
http://b-is4.blogspot.com/2014/06/barbecue-tuna-salad-appetizer.htm

























Sharing with:

Cook It!  Craft It!  Share It!



  #WakeUpWendesdayLinky

Oh My Heartsie Girl 4th of July #WordlessWednesday #4ofjuly #IBA

http://www.mypapercraze.com/?p=2222

Crafty Allie