For Pasta Lovers...
Monday is here again and it's going to be another busy, busy week ahead here in my household. That is why my family is always looking for quick and easy meals to cook up during the week. We are also striving to eat much healthier. I know several other people out there are looking for easy but healthier food, as well. Therefore, I wanted to share this post for anyone interested in a pasta noodle substitute. Many people may already know about this and I'm not surprised since it is a brilliant idea. I'm a little slow finding out and if you are, too, hopefully this helps! Use squash to replace pasta noodles and you may never go back to eating traditional pasta again!
Healthy Pasta Substitute: Squash Pasta Noodles
My family eats a lot of pasta. It's inexpensive food, makes plenty and my kids actually eat it! We are trying to get away from eating all those carbs, however, so when I heard about this substitute for pasta noodles, I had to try it...it didn't hurt that the substitute is a vegetable! My eyes lit up and I instantly pictured my kids happily digging in, thinking they were eating pasta but actually shoveling vegetables into their mouths. It's a bit deceiving, yes, but sometimes, it has to be done! As a parent, I've learned you have to do what you have to do in order to feed the kids a well-balanced diet...even if that means throwing in vegetables in any shape or form that you can and letting them believe it's something else!
How to Make Easy Squash Pasta Noodles
Okay, so let's get to how to make this easy but healthier pasta substitute. This was our first time trying it out so we would like to perfect it next time. For now, it worked for us and we were happy with the results.
- Squash (I used one yellow summer squash and one zucchini)
- Extra virgin olive oil, about 2 tablespoons
- Seasoning to taste (you can use pepper, salt, Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel squash, then cut lengthwise into thin slices. (We forgot to peel...but it was still good)!
- Add Extra virgin olive oil and seasoning.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on how soft you would like noodles. If you would like it as soft as real pasta noodles, you may need to cook it longer, probably at least 30 minutes.
Hope this recipe helped someone out there! I'm on the hunt for more easy, quick and healthier recipes so stay tuned for lots more food posts!
You might also like:
|Pineapple Angel Food Cake|
|Sinigang: Filipino Dish with a Twist|
Have a great week ahead,