Saturday, March 15, 2014

Bananas, Jello and Shamrock Shakes for St.Patrick's Day

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

It's the weekend! Will you be celebrating with any St.Patrick's Day festivities?  My family doesn't really have anything planned but I always try to make some fun food and drinks to go along with whatever holiday or celebration is currently going on.  Green has been the color showing up in our food and drinks this week in honor of St.Patrick's Day.  I'm a chocolate lover and my kids love bananas and ice cream, so it inspired me to combine those ingredients in a couple different ways to make some fun green "Shamrock" drinks!

Milkshake, Green Drinks, Green Cocoa

Shamrock Shakes with Banana and Chocolate



Milkshake, Food, Recipe

How to make this banana and chocolate shake with whip cream and green sprinkles:

I used green candy melts by Wilton to make it green and to give it some chocolate flavor. Okay, so the green may not look too appealing...but it was good, at least, the kids ended up drinking it!

Milkshake, Chocolate, Banana

I chopped up about a 1/4 - 1/3 cup (depending on how much chocolate flavor you prefer) of green candy melts and threw them into the blender with one frozen banana, a couple ice cubes and milk. Then, I added a little bit of whip cream and green sugar sprinkles on top.

Banana, Chocolate, Milkshakes

Shamrock Shakes with Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream

 

For this shake, I replaced the bananas with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream.  I first melted the candy melts in a small pot with the milk until smooth.  Then, I blended it with some ice and the vanilla ice cream.

Milkshake, Banana, Chocolate

Line the rim of the glass with some green sugar sprinkles.

Hot Shamrock Cocoa

 

I melted the green candy melts the same as I did for the chocolate and vanilla shake over the stove top.  I added some whip cream and green sprinkles on top.


Green hot cocoa, chocolate, banana

My kids seem to enjoy anything with sprinkles and whip cream!  

Green Food, Clovers, Chocolate

I made the shamrock lollipops using the candy mold, which you can see more instructions in detail on how to do so in my article HERE.

Shamrock Jello

 

Of course, you can't go wrong with green Jello for St.Patrick's Day!  Perfect treat for the kids, especially if you mold them into shamrock shapes or just serve in a cup.  Make it more for adults by adding in some alcohol for Jello shots.  

Even if you are not Irish, St.Patrick's Day is a fun day to celebrate, especially when there are food and drinks involved!   Are you preparing anything special for St.Patty's Day?


Check out this recipe for Mint Chocolate Cupcakes for a dessert idea for St.Patrick's Day.