Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Bring on Some Chicken Adobo

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

A Traditional Filipino Dish - Chicken Adobo



Today, I'm sharing a traditional Filipino recipe called Chicken Adobo.  It only requires a few simple ingredients that you can alter in measurements to your taste.

I have been thinking about the tragic typhoon that struck the Philippines so I'm sharing some Filipino recipes this week on here as my small way of sending out my thoughts and heart to those affected by Typhoon Haiyan.  



Ingredients:
6-12 chicken drumsticks, depending on how many people you're serving
1-2 cups soy sauce
1/3 - 1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1-2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons black ground peppercorn
4 garlic cloves, minced
Cooked rice

Depending on how much soup you want it to make, you can increase or decrease the amount of soy sauce and vinegar.   Also, I like to throw in some vegetables to cook with it.

A packet mix for this is also available at most Asian food stores if you choose to use that instead.

To cook:
Put all the ingredients in a large pot and let it come to a boil.  Decrease to medium heat, cover and let cook for about 30 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way through.  Stir and turn chicken occasionally.  The chicken should come out tender enough to peel nicely off the bone.  Serve with rice. 



My daughter loves sipping up the soup from this and many people like pouring it over their rice, so put in enough cups of each vinegar and soy sauce if you prefer to have the extra soup, as well.

My mom used to make cantaloupe juice when we were growing up.  Hubby asked me to make some, too, so I did.  It's a little bit different than how I'm used to since I had to improvise.  I forgot to get the proper kitchen utensil to scrape out the cantaloupe so I did my own thing, haha, but still delicious!

I hope everyone is having a great week and not getting too stressed as Christmas draws near! During the holidays, I like trying out new recipes so maybe give this one a try if you like to experiment with cooking and are in the mood for something different!  Please keep in mind and in your hearts all affected by Typhoon Haiyan this holiday season.

Happy cooking!






 










Stop by my article here on The Jacksonville Cummer Gardens and here for more recipes.