Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Bringing Clothes to Life Again

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

Follow on Bloglovin

 

The Fall season is definitely in the air.  It's still toasty warm in Florida on most days especially once the sun is up but we can feel the slight chill in the air in the mornings and when the sun retires in the evening.  

For me, this season signals a time to clean up the house!  Twice a year, typically Fall and in the Spring is when I like to de-clutter.   We sort through what we no longer use including toys, clothes and household items.  Since the kids are still young and go through clothes and toys quickly, I think it's a great idea to clean everything out, at least twice a year.

We're still finishing up but so far we have six bags of items we no longer use.  We're going to send them off to be donated or try to resell what we can at consignment stores.  Sometimes, I resell on Craigslist, too.

I always try to encourage everyone to recycle and reuse what they can to avoid filling up our landfills and letting good things go to waste.  It's so helpful when you can donate or resell items like clothing for others to use.  

Dying Clothes


Another option I consider is to keep certain items if I can find other use for it.   For example, something I like to do in order to freshen up the look of clothes or to use them for other purposes is to dye them.  The beauty of this is you can change it to a color that fits your needs. 

I bought a pack of white baby shirts and body suits awhile ago for my own daughter, Lyla B. but she outgrew them before she could wear them.  I decided to just dye them this blue color and personalize it for my friend's baby boy.


I used iron-on appliques and letters to personalize his name.




Fabric Dye


I bought this fabric dye from Wal-Mart for a little under $3.  They come in a variety of colors.
This is the dye I've used so far to dye clothes.  You can find more variety of  fabric dye at craft stores


You just need salt and hot water to mix with this particular dye.


These are clothes I dyed last year.  I would suggest not putting too many items in the bowl at one time because you want the clothes to dye evenly.


The directions are on the back of the fabric dye and they are simple to follow.



These clothes had stains on them so  I dyed them to cover up the stains.


All of these baby clothes and my top below were originally white.


I like the option of being able to dye clothes to change it to the color I want and make it "new" again. 




Dying fabric is a simple way to be able to reuse clothes that you may still want to wear.  It also allows you to personalize the color so you don't have to be stuck with plain white clothing.



I dyed lots of Lyla Brielle's clothes black so it would be a little more unique.
I used bows and iron-on designs I already had to style up her clothes a bit. 


Sweet Stuff


I used a stencil and fabric markers for the cupcake design and gold glitter iron-on letters.


I sewed on the pearl necklace to the outfit.  Just to be safe, make sure you don't leave the baby unattended with the pearls or any other removable objects like buttons if you decide to use those to vamp up clothes. ;)

Now is the perfect time to remove toys and clothes the children aren't using since Christmas is around the corner.  Donate or resell those things so other people can make use of them and so you can make room for the upcoming Christmas toys and clothes your kids will probably be receiving!  


I hope this helped you to consider bringing clothes to life again using fabric dye or maybe you can think of other ways to freshen up clothes so you can get more wear out of them.  I'm always experimenting and trying to figure out ways to not send things like clothes to the trash.  There are also actual "green" fabric dye available or you can make your own natural dye, too.  I have yet to try any of those but if I do, I'll let you know how it goes!


I love this autumn season and all the fall happenings.  We plan on visiting a pumpkin patch soon so stay tuned!  



Enjoy the Fall weather! 



http://www.topmommyblogs.com/



Any ideas or tips you have to be more eco-friendly?


See my article here for more every day ways to be green and my article here for ideas on how to reuse items to decorate a baby's nursery.  


Also, visit my BNadyn Fashion blog to see some of the things I find when I shop secondhand.