Thursday, September 19, 2013

Blessings Along the Way

Written by, Bernadyn Nettles

 

 

We don't always get what we want.  When we do, it's not always when we want it.

Once upon a time, three years ago, I decided I wanted to have another baby. 

It took us several months of trying but still no baby.  They say stress and too much trying can do that.  

We stopped trying.  

"It's not meant to be," I said.

Life went on and I became excited to pursue my dreams again since I put that on hold while I cared for Brody at home.

Then, God laughed and opened the door...a rush of wind blew in and we got sucked up into the twister of life.

God answered our prayers indeed.

That baby was coming, just not on our time.  I have come to know that it works that way every now and then. We planned for a baby in 2010.  That year came and went.  No baby.
New Years 2011 - surprise!  Baby.

According to our doctor, that was the day of conception.  Her due date was around the same time as my birthday; also not what I had in mind.

"If you want to make God laugh, make plans."

God humored us with his answer.  

Lyla B. joined in on the fun when she arrived two weeks before her due date...without giving the drugs a chance to numb me...and while I was the most tired...at night.

"She wasn't supposed to come yet!" I screamed while Ryan weaved through traffic that day.

Today, she is a constant reminder that life throws curve balls at you.  We need to be better players, ready to duck, dodge and jump at a moment's notice.  I've had several of those moments since becoming a mom.  Those moments make you stronger, wiser and make you feel more alive.  I have become forgetful and exhausted but I remember things now through moments and feel more motivated to live a full life.

Mother-Daughter Moments 


Here are some mother-daughter moments I have enjoyed:

Our mother-daughter date a couple weeks ago at a park.
She liked watching Mommy swing next to her.
It actually relieved a lot of stress for me.
She was too scared to cross the wobbly, wooden bridge on her own
so she insisted on holding Mommy's hand.



I hope she never wants to let go.

I love swinging now...she brought me back to my care-free childhood days.


My mini me.

Mommy-baby bonding.

"I want to be like Mommy."
Now I have someone else who hogs the bathroom.





Relaxing in a hotel room in Alpharetta, Georgia




Our first moment together...the moment we met.  

Next week, she will be turning two.  She has been a blessing and came tumbling into our world at her own pace and speed.  If I've learned anything from life, it's that you have to adjust to the changes around you because nothing is carved in stone.  

But sometimes, that's not always a bad thing.  



Her second day of life.
She already taught us so much that day.
Like my dad used to say, "Always expect the unexpected."



Take care until next time and don't be too disappointed when your plans change!  




If you don't have any yet, here are some ideas for this weekend in Jax.:
  • September 21st: St. Paul's Riverside 90th Anniversary Carnival 10-6 p.m. Go here for info.
  • September 21st: Nocatee Farmers Market & Cruisin' Car Show 10-2p.m.  Go here for info.
  • September 22nd: Shannon Miller's Kids Challenge & Weekend of Racing 11:45 a.m.  Go here for info.



Related Posts


See my previous post about Lyla's unexpected arrival: Bum, Bum, Bump!

A sentimental gift idea I'm giving my baby girl: Writing Book Inscriptions: A Thoughtful Gift for Any Occasion.