Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"Bello! Bananaaaa! Potato-naaaa!"

"Bello!  Pwede na?"

Translation: "Hello!  Can we start?" (Despicable Wiki) 



Who saw Despicable Me 2?  I know, I may be a tad late on seeing this but we just took our kids to see it this past weekend and they thoroughly enjoyed it, even my youngest who usually can't sit still during a whole movie.  She did get up every now and then but I can tell she was really into this movie and I think a lot had to do with the cute little minion characters.  


She couldn't stay still to take these shots so sorry for the pics being blurry.
I noticed, too, they spoke her language: jabber-jibberish talk so it makes sense why she likes them so much! We used to think she sounded like she was speaking a foreign language like Chinese or at times French but now we can understand her better and it sounds more like her own variation on different languages.  I realize now after watching the movie and hearing the minions speak again that she uses their form of communication to express herself which is "through actions, not words: their "language" is fairly basic, they speak in a strange jabber; except for the odd human word every now and again and occasional Spanish-sounding words, French, Korean and elements of Japanese" (Personality, Despicable Wiki).

They have a few words and phrases that's also from Tagalog (Filipino language) such as the question at the top, "Pwede na?"  I knew I understood some of what they could say, ha!  (Unfortunately, I can't speak Tagalog fluently but I can still understand).  

This bro and sis are like minions who constantly bicker back and forth

They both love "bananaaaa and gelato!"
(What minions call ice cream)
Along with their language, my little tot, Lyla B. can be described just like them: "They are impulsive creatures with little self-control but with a wide-eyed wonder and odd innocence that endears them to viewers and makes them relatable" (The Minions, Despicable Wiki).  How true that is for her, too!  She does have an odd innocence and lacks self-control but she is endearing. 

Lyla B. will be two next month.  She is learning to speak more and picks up new words and phrases every day.  I love the way she talks and babbles with her jibberish.  I don't mind if she doesn't start talking like an actual human yet; I'll miss these minion-like jibberish days!  

A bonus characteristic she has in common with the minions is her ability to "double as a glow stick with a snap and a shake" (Appearance, Despicable wiki).  It's hurricane season and we've been having lots of thunderstorms so if the power ever goes out, she'll be ready to light up the room when we snap and shake her.  Don't worry, she loves it; it throws her into a fit of jibberish giggles!  


She always lights up the room with her minion-like smile, of course!
One of her fave things to say that I have deciphered is "I-dooo!"  which means, "I do!"  She says this when I ask, "Do you love Mommy?"  Lyla always replies (with her lips puckered out and head tilted up),  "I-dooo!" 

"Lyla, do you love minions?"  Say it with me:  "I-dooo!" I can hear the minions chuckling, "He, he, he."


This is the kids' little minion friend
(I found all this interesting minion info on DespicableWikia.com.)  
  
Did you see Despicable Me 2?  Does your kid also talk and act like a minion?  (It's okay, most kids do)!


Here are some things to do around the Jax, FL area this week: 

  • August 15th 3:30 PM - Chilren's Author visit: Maria Magellan (also a lizard expert)  Go here  for more info.
  • August 15th 5-9 PM - Beaches Art Walk.  Go here for more info.
  • August 16th 8 PM - Back to School Twilight Movie: Free showing of Rise of the Guardians at Russell Park.  Go here  for more info.



Enjoy your week ...and any little minions of your own!

-B



See more posts about my little minion, Lyla Brielle, below: