Thursday, January 31, 2013

Blackboard fun

This isn't Brody...it's Lyla
(She's wearing one of her fave cloth diapers that makes her feel like a Super Baby)

2013 has been a busy and productive year so far.  My to-do list seems to get longer and longer as the days go on this year but I want to make sure I make time to do fun and creative projects with my kids.  One of the things my kids and I have enjoyed doing is doodling on the large blackboard in our house.  Blackboards in schools are long forgotten (at least from my knowledge, aren't they?) but the chalk and board concept has been resurrected from the dead and boasts many creative uses elsewhere.  If you're a Pinterest user, you've probably seen several interesting uses for the chalkboard idea like using them as props for photos, to personalize gifts or label jars and kitchen cabinets.  The chalkboard has become obsolete in the classroom but are now popular for use in the home, parties and weddings.


When we moved into our new place last year and Brody once again had a room all to himself, I was determined for him to have a blackboard wall.  The walls in our place are textured, however, so unfortunately, writing and drawing on it is not as smooth as the blackboards in the classroom.   We make do with it and have had lots of fun coming up with different ideas.  Here are some of the things we've done so far...


I'm not very good at drawing but hopefully you can see the vision behind the photos!  



Super Brody



What little boy doesn't want to be a superhero?





Spider-Brody crawling down the wall

Lyla Brielle usually doesn't cooperate when I want to take her pictures with the wall.
She just walks away now but this time, she wanted in on the action.


I told him to "aim for the moon because even if he misses, he'll  land among the stars..."


He caught the moon!  (or my version of the moon)


Then, he wanted to take a bite out of it.


He also wanted to put this on...Transformers: Dark of the Moon?

Lyla Brielle's 11-month birthday...she couldn't walk yet so she had no choice but to take these pics!



This was taken a few weeks before Christmas...
he said he's a good boy, an angel, so he was ready for his presents



He loves cats


Brody wanted a blue center for the doughnut
(The chalkboard is still wet from erasing the previous drawings)


My little prince


 

Cuddly Dudley ...Brody took this penguin home
 for a couple days for a school project.
We drew him an igloo ...and then I remembered penguins don't live in Igloos because they don't live in Alaska.  Penguins live in Antarctica.  *Slapped myself on the forehead with this one because he sent this picture in with his journal to school...ooops*
Hey, you know you've made this same mistake, too!



A bonus with the chalkboard is that the mess is easier to clean up especially when you have a 16-month old running around the house! 


Enjoy your week!

-B